Thursday 15 December 2011

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups? (AS Re-sit)

The music genres my magazine focuses mainly on are soul and R ‘n’ B. My magazine does include elements of other genres e.g. gospel and rap however, soul and R ‘n’ B are the key themes.

The models on my front cover are represented as typical males in the soul and R ‘n’ B industry. They are both wearing t-shirts that show off their arms and their abs. Thus conveying their strength, boldness and sexiness (women will be the ones that may most likely think this). The model on the right is wearing a white Bape G- shock watch which is popular in the rap, gangster community. Expensive looking Rolex watches are also famous too. Famous names like Kanye West, Drake, and Jay Z are amongst the countless artists that own some. The model on the right is also wearing chains ‘bling’ and an earring (which is not evident in the image) whilst the other model sports an arm chain. The jewellery the models are wearing connotes both affluence and status. What's more, the model also holds onto his belt drawing more attention to the fact that it is designer (the prestigious Dolce&Gabbana) and therefore most likely expensive. Valuables like this are common on artists featured in music magazines especially hip-hop, R ‘n’ B and other similar genres as these are the sort of accessories they tend to wear. Thus insinuating people that are followers of these music genres see wealth as important and aspire to get it. The way my models are posing shows they are confident and certain of whom they are and this is how males in the R ‘n’ B industry tend to be represented as hard.

Noticeably, they are not as extravagantly and luxuriously dressed up as famous celebrities but I believe they do depict the genre of music I was going for. Also the overall simplicity of their dressing mirrors the subtle and simple look I was going for with my magazine.

On my contents page, I have used different images of the other models I used.  I put together three female models to make a female ‘girl band’ of which I named ‘Sister Soul’ and a solo artist.


 


The biggest image on the contents page is of the girl band looking very happy and bubbly. The solo artist on the other hand is also looking happy as she looks to the top right corner. She is meant to appeal to a slightly older age group to that of the girl band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment