Sunday 23 January 2011

Audience research (pre-production)

Before starting work on my music magazine front cover, contents page and double page spread, I conducted a survey to get an idea of the type of things my audience would find appealing in a music magazine.


1) Of the 20 people that answered my survey, 10 were male and 10 were female. I done this deliberately so as to ensure my survey was as fair as possible.


2) The vast majority of people that answered my survey were from my college hence there were no over 22’s. I asked this question to see if there were any correlations between people’s ages and their answers. I made sure I asked around randomly so as to not be biased as it is important for me to get an idea of my target audiences feelings and views, so I know what attracts them to music magazines.


3) The number of people that claimed they were generally not really interested in music magazines were the small minority of my sample. 8 people said that they were interested in music magazines, whilst another 8 said that they were sort of interested in music magazines.


4) I asked this question so I could get more of an idea of the type of music magazine I’d be making. These results were really interesting as I knew that the type of music magazine I’d be making would have to be of a genre or genres I am interested in. There were many genres people were interested in including Rap, Rhythm & Blues, Hip hop and Rock. Someone even made a comment stating that they were also interested in Dancehall (that being a genre of Jamaican popular music). Another person even added that they were interested in all the genres I listed! The main genres people selected would not be difficult to incorporate into one magazine.


5) The total percentage of this question does not total 100% as I made this question a multiple answer one so people could pick more than one thing. Generally, the topics and articles that proved most popular were celebrity interviews (which were the most popular), new music and new artist reviews. I will make sure I include all the features my sample audience have chosen especially the most popular ones.


6) Unsurprisingly, of the 20 people I asked only 6 would be willing to spend between £3 to £4 on a music magazine. The other 14 people would only pay between £2 to £3 on a music magazine. Therefore my music magazine will have to be really good so that I could make it up to £4 and my audience won’t mind.



7) The majority of my audience (12 people) would like to receive their music magazine monthly. 6 people would like to receive it weekly, and only 2 people would want to get it fortnightly. I think I will make my magazine a monthly one as this seems to be most popular.


8) I asked this question to discover how frequently people buy magazines to get an insight of the chances there are of mine getting bought. My results show that most people (12 out of 20) rarely buy music magazines, 6 people sometimes buy them whereby 2 people never even buy music magazines. The people that said rarely mean that once in a random while they pick up a music magazine and buy one in contrast to the people that said never. Asking this question has re-iterated to me that making a magazine very appealing is vital. 



9) I asked this question to see how loyal people were to music magazine brands. 30% of the people I asked stuck to the same magazine which is a bit of a disadvantage, as it means that they will probably not look at others magazines i.e. mine. However, fortunately 40% of my sample audience said that they bought whatever looked interested to them.


10) This question was imperative as I needed to find out what it was that attracted my audience to buy magazines. The reason the percentage total does not equal 100% is because I made this question a multiple choice one. The three things I thought would be popular were the ones that people picked the most, price, freebies and artist(s) on front cover. These elements tend to always be found on the front cover of magazines.


11) I asked this question to get an idea on how my sample audience would prefer to receive their music magazine. This was useful as I’ve seen that my audience are interested in the various ways of distributing my magazine, I will make my magazine available through all these sources.



12) The results I got from asking this question were not surprising to me. I knew that if there were to be any selectors of ‘no’ it would only be like one or two people. Generally people like free things. My magazine will definitely include some free giveaways.


13) Asking this question was helpful so I know what type of tone to incorporate into my magazine. My target audience would definitely like a light-hearted, amusing read so I will make sure I integrate such qualities into my music magazine.

14) This is also another question that I felt was important to ask as I will be making my own music magazine double page spread. By finding out my sample audiences views on double page spread, it will help me decide how to lay mine out when I create it.


15) I felt it was very important for me to ask this question as the front cover of a magazine is extremely important as it’s what a potential purchaser sees first. The front cover of a magazine, book etc can be a determining factor as to whether the item is bought or not. I will make sure that my magazine front cover includes both established artists and upcoming artists most frequently, established artists sometimes and upcoming artists once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment